Saturday 18 April 2020

Week 15: Close to home

If Lockdown has had one seriously good impact, 
it’s that we’ve all explored more within our local area 
and found treasures we otherwise might not have noticed.
I’ve always been aware that the Panmure Basis is just a 2.5km walk 
from my flat but had never explored it as thoroughly as I might have.  
Work and other commitments have always got in the way.
Not so over the last few weeks though.
No excuses now.
What else have I had to do but walk!
Panmure Basin is a tidal lagoon (created by a volcanic eruption) and .
ebbs and flows with the tide through the Tamaki Estuary.
There’s an abundance of birdlife here, 
despite it being in the middle of a predominantly industrial suburb.
As the tide recedes the mud’s exposed
and that’s the best time to see the myriad of bird species that feed here.
This is when I wish I had a longer lens.
There’s a well established colony of Pied Shags 
nesting in the corridor that leads to the Tamaki Estuary.
These two were having a bit of a disagreement when I chanced upon them earlier this week.
Today, Sunday, I was privy to a flock of Little Black Shag 
feeding in the lagoon. It was fascinating!
They're gregarious when feeding and were foraging co-operatively in their flock.
What was so interesting was the flock of Red Billed Gulls 
that were following them around the lagoon.
At first I thought the Gulls were harassing them but realised, 
as I watched, that the Gulls were being clever. 
Foraging on mass as the Little Black Shags do, disturbs the lagoon bed 
and the Gulls, well known for taking advantage of any opportunity,
were feeding on any morsels that happened to reach the surface.
It's not often I've seen such a symbiotic relationship between bird species.
Symbiotic for the Gulls that is, not the Shag.
 White Faced Herons also feed here and I think roost here as well.
On more than one occasion I’ve heard their grating call 
in the trees above me as I’ve circumnavigated the lagoon. 
It gives one quite a fright in the early morning darkness.
I’ve seen so many Kingfishers too, and this one 
chose to eat his crab in front of me today.
There's always a flock of Pied Stilts foraging near the edge. 
They amuse me no end with their call when they take to the air.  
It sounds just like yapping dogs. 
They are the most ghangly of birds with their spindly long legs..
There are of course an abundance of Pied Oyster Catchers and Mallard Ducks and Pukeko,
as well as those very visible and loud Spur Winged Plovers.
Rustling in the leaves under the trees always indicates the presence of the
Blackbirds and Thrushes searching for that early morning worm.
They don’t start calling quite as early as the Tui.
His calls accompany me down the road as I make my way to the lagoon.
I love that he starts the day almost as early as I do
and welcome his company as we watch the world wake up.
"Home is a shelter from storms
... all sorts of storms."

~ William J. Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catch-up!

Sooo, when I started this challenge this year I didn't expect to be playing catch-up quite so frequently. A photo a week isn't onero...