Friday 5 June 2020

Week 22: My favourite critter

I have SO many favourite critters! 
Choosing only to focus on one has been so difficult.
I decided to go with a bird endemic to New Zealand,
as opposed to some of my favourite 4-legged critters that come from Africa.
I occasionally hear these native soul-singers during my early morning walks.
They add the most glorious bell-like sound to that early morning dawn chorus. 
I’m talking of course of the lovely green Korimako (or Bellbird for my non NZ-friends) 
With their olive green colouring and notable red eye, 
they’re easily identified when you find them.
Sadly I don’t see them too frequently as they tend to be rather shy.
Despite having a nectar feeder in my garden I haven’t been lucky enough to attract them there yet.
Living in a built-up semi-industrial area doesn’t always lend itself to forest-dwelling birds.
It’s early days for the nectar feeder though, so fingers crossed.
As with so many of our NZ birds, deforestation and the suburban sprawl have reduced their numbers in and around cities. I also hadn’t realised how important Beech trees are for honeyeaters. Small scale insects live within the bark of the Beech tree and excrete excess sugar in the form of honeydew. It’s a food resource that’s available all year round so is especially useful to Tuis and Bellbirds when nectar is scarce.
Unfortunately for Bellbirds foreign wasp species have also discovered honeydew and,
in areas where these wasps have been found,
there can be a huge reduction in the amount of honeydew available.
That means no year-round food for Tui and Bellbirds,
and fewer beetles and moths as they also feed on the honeydew.
Less birds in the bush = less birds contributing to the dawn chorus.

“The dawn chorus sends a euphoric message to the world, day in, day out.
I am alive!” 
~ Amelia Dashwood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catch-up!

Sooo, when I started this challenge this year I didn't expect to be playing catch-up quite so frequently. A photo a week isn't onero...